Over the weekend I decided that starting today I’m going to completely cut out carbs for the next two and a half weeks (until June 16, my cousin’s graduation party). For my “last meal,” which was last night, I chose to make angel hair pasta and tomato sauce.
I had several reasons for picking this meal:
- I love pasta.
- I wanted to finish the box of pasta that I’d opened the day before. (Yes, I ate a whole box of pasta in two days. By myself.)
- I wanted to eat it with tomato sauce. The day before I’d had it with garlic and oil and it was meh.
- I needed to make sauce anyway for this eggplant thing that I’ll be cooking this week.
So I made it. And it was great. Sometimes I forget just how delicious this sauce can be. Then I’ll taste it while it’s cooking and think, “Omg this is so good, why don’t I make this more often??”
This time I used fire-roasted tomatoes, because they were on sale. Initially I was only planning to use one can of tomatoes, but I accidentally poured out too much oil in the beginning so I decided to double the recipe. I learned awhile back that you should ALWAYS have extra cans of tomatoes when you’re making a sauce. That way, if you mess something up – too much oil or salt – all you have to do is add another can of tomatoes and Voila! Problem solved.
Quick and Easy Tomato Sauce
- 1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 3 oz. of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic (I love garlic. If you don’t, use less.)
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat up the olive oil.
2. Add the garlic and saute until light brown.
3. Add the tomatoes, the tomato paste, and the oregano and mix well (mixing the tomato paste can be a bit of a pain). Add salt (and/or pepper) a little bit at a time so you don’t over-salt it (which I may have done once or twice).
4. Cook over a medium flame for 5-10 minutes, until hot.
That’s all there is to it!