I’ve made this recipe two or three times since I started the HCG Diet, and I have to say it is AMAZING. I had never tasted egg drop soup before trying this HCG version, so I really didn’t know what to expect. It is so yummy! Especially with the green onions, which I had never bought before (tip: when you’re at the grocery store, they’re near the lettuce, NOT the onions).
I guess what makes it “diet” is that normal egg drop soup uses cornstarch, whereas this one doesn’t.
It’s a really simple recipe – except when it comes time to “drop” the eggs into the soup, which I still haven’t gotten the hang of. The last time I made the soup I turned to google for advice, where I learned this:
To make shreds, stir the egg rapidly in a clockwise direction for one minute. To make thin streams or ribbons, gently stir the eggs in a clockwise direction until they form.
Now, I still don’t know the difference between shreds and ribbons. My goal was something like scrambled eggs, where you could actually take a bite of eggs. So I decided not to stir too much. But that didn’t really work out – I ended up with a layer of eggs stuck to the bottom of the pot.
Regardless of how the eggs come out, overall it tastes delicious. And like my “Almost an Egg Roll” recipe, this is pretty good for satisfying a chinese food craving.
Diet-friendly Egg Drop Soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 egg and 1/2 cup of liquid egg whites (which is the equivalent of 3 egg whites)
- 1 tbs. Braggs Liquid Amino Acids (keep in mind that I like things salty. You might want to add just a little bit at a time.)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- salt/pepper to taste (If you want. I didn’t add any.)
1. Bring the chicken broth to a boil.
2. Add everything but the eggs.
3. Whisk the egg and the egg whites, and then slowly pour the eggs into the pot, a little at a time. Keep stirring as you do this, fast or slowly depending on how you want your eggs.
4. It should look like this when you’re done.
That’s it! Enjoy!!!
Thank you I really enjoy this recipe!